A long-wearing base coat that's “free” from the top 5 harmful ingredients found in traditional polish.
- formula is solvent-based, NOT water-based
- more durable than water-based
- a safe “grown up” polish alternative
What is “5 Free” Polish?
Free of the 5 most toxic ingredients found in traditional nail polish:
- Dibutyl Phthalate also known as “plasticizers” are used to prevent chipping and provide sheen. It is a known carcinogen, causes reproductive and thyroid problems, and has also been linked to changes in hormones.
- Formaldehyde is used to harden nails. It is also a known carcinogen, inhaled while evaporating, and causes allergic reactions if it comes into contact with the skin.
- Toluene gives a smooth finish to the nail, helping to keep the color uniform. It is a volatile organic compound, causing irritation to the eyes, lungs, and throat when inhaled, and also affects the central nervous system.
- Formaldehyde Resin isn’t as toxic as formaldehyde, but it is a derivative, and a known allergen.
- Camphor is typically used as a topical treatment for a cold or flu. Think: Vicks Vapo-Rub. Camphor used to be made by distilling the bark and wood of the camphor tree. Today, camphor is chemically manufactured from turpentine oil. In the USA, camphorated oil was removed from the market due to safety concerns. It’s still available in Canada without a prescription. Camphor works to stimulate nerve endings to relieve pain and itching. Ingesting camphor is what can cause serious side effects, even death. Nail biters beware!
Ingredients: Butyl Acetate, Ethyl Acetate, Nitrocellulose, Phthalic Anhydride/Trimellitic Anhydride/Glycols Copolymer, Acetyl Tributyl Citrate, Isopropyl Alcohol, Adipic Acid/ Fumaric Acid/ Phthalic Acid/Tricyclodecane Demthanol Copolymer , Stearalkonium Hectorite, Silica, Titanium Dioxide/CI 77891, Diisobutyl Adipate, Citric Acid, Diacetone Alcohol, Cyanocobalamin